The Stairbuilders and Manufacturers Association (SMA) and Crown Heritage present Balustrade Level I, an instructional class focused on teaching post-to-post handrail installation theory and skills. We have made a conscience effort to provide fixtures, materials and workbook to required for hands-on balustrade installation training. The class will also include a shop tour of Crown Heritage.
This course is designed to primarily introduce layout methods essential to Post-to-Post Balustrade installation. It will include classroom instruction with hands-on layout instruction. The class will begin with a review of code requirements essential to balustrade layout, the stair parts to be used, and the instructional paperwork that will accompany the learning process. The class will then progress to how to layout each part of the balustrade in both plan and elevation for cut and closed stringer. Included are proper location, spacing, height, and fastening methods of each component to create a strong code compliant Post-to-Post Balustrade will be included. Students will be working primarily with stock wood components, i.e. turned and box newels, pin and square balusters, and 6010 handrails.
1. Plan optional layouts of balustrade locations on the flights, landings, and balconies on both open and closed stair configurations.
2. Plan elevation layout locations for newel mountings in notched and surface applications on stairways and landings.
3. Plan layout options of baluster grouping and installation, landing tread, fascia/apron, and trim.
4. Plan elevation layout locations for handrail connections and balusters in drilled and plowed installation.
5. Secure various types of accessory hardware and connection methods commonly used for newels, balusters and handrails.
More detailed information is available!
Submit your completed application with sponsor and student signatures to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, August 28th. Upon acceptance into the class, you will be invoiced $750 for tuition which is to be paid upon receipt.
Download the Student/Sponsor Application Below:
Hampton Inn Wilkesboro
1300 S Collegiate Dr
Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28697
Accommodations include Hampton's FREE hot breakfast.
$117 + tax per night
*** Call (336) 838-5000 to reserve your hotel room! ***
Group Discount Booking Code: CROWN HERITAGE STAIR SCHOOL