The Stairbuilders and Manufacturers Association (SMA) and Crown Heritage present Balustrade Level I, an instructional class focused on teaching hand rail installation skills pertinent to the industry. We have made a conscience effort to simplify the facility and fixtures required for hands-on balustrade installation training. The class will also include a shop tour of Crown Heritage.
This course is designed to primarily introduce layout methods essential to Post-to-Post Balustrade installation. It will include classroom instruction with hands-on layout instruction. The class will begin with a review of code requirements essential to balustrade layout, the stair parts to be used and the instructional paperwork that will accompany the learning process. The class will then progress to how to layout each part of the balustrade in both plan and elevation for cut stringer and closed/curb stringer. Proper location, spacing, height and fastening methods of each component to create a strong code compliant Post-to-Post Balustrade will be included. Students will be working primarily with stock wood components, i.e. turned and box newels, pin and square top balusters, and 6010 rail.
1. Plan layouts of rail and baluster locations on flights, landings and at balconies on both open and curb stair configurations.
2. Plan and vertical layouts of newels for both notched and surface mount applications.
3. Plan layout options with baluster grouping and installation, landing tread, facia/apron, and trim.
4. Rail layout for post connections and baluster/rail connections for both drilled and ploughed rails.
5. Secure various hardware connection methods commonly used for posts, rails, and balusters.
More detailed information is available!
Submit your completed application with sponsor and student signatures to email@example.com by Wednesday, August 28th. Upon acceptance into the class, you will be invoiced $750 for tuition which is to be paid upon receipt.
Download the Student/Sponsor Application Below:
Accommodation Information COMING SOON!